Thursday, September 19, 2013

Guidelines for Plato Papers





The end result is a conference paper that you will read during our in class conference on the last day of  class. 

The paper should be 3000 words. It should focus on some important aspect of one of Plato’s dialogues that we discuss in class.

Given the short length of the paper, I suggest focusing on one dialogue rather than a discussion of a theme than ranges over more than one dialogue. 

The paper should demonstrate some awareness of the secondary literature on this topic.  For example, I just looked at a recent conference paper I co wrote with a BIC colleague and former Baylor grad student, Paul Carron,  and  I have a  long footnote that mentions relevant literature and  then we  cite  7-8 sources in the paper.   I will email you that  paper for your perusal.   I will also  send  a paper I gave last year at the Ancient Philosophy Society and International Plato Society as another model.

I encourage you to explore philosophical issues and ideas that you have interests in in light of  Plato. 

 I  encourage you to submit the paper to a conference.   Several participants of  previous seminars  presented at the Society of Ancient Greek Philosophy in New York City. The deadline for that submission is in June.   In the past five years,  15 Baylor graduate students have presented at this conference. 

For those  who finish  their papers a bit early, the Ancient Philosophy Society call for  papers is Nov  25. One former Baylor student has presented on this  program.



No comments:

Post a Comment